I like to binge-watch TV shows on Netflix.
I simply download them to my device and start watching.
But last week, it didn’t start downloading.
Luckily I found several easy fixes.
Let me share them with you.
Keep reading to find out:
- 9 easy fixes to start Netflix download again.
- The number of titles you can download per device.
- How to do a simple restart on your Apple or Android device.
- Which apps you can use to test the strength of your internet connection.
- And that’s only the beginning…
Netflix not downloading – causes
Netflix isn’t downloading because you have a weak or no internet connection, outdated software, or you exceeded the number of downloads for a device. Another reason could be that the title is not available anymore. And sometimes, it’s because you activated Smart Downloads.
Netflix not downloading – 9 ways to fix it
#1: Try a different device
Let’s start simple and try downloading on Netflix using another device.
By doing this and it works, you can exclude other fixes and focus on your current device.
Note: Try it on a device that’s connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
If it started downloading on the test device, go back to the other gadget and…
#2: Restart your device
By restarting your device, we kick off fresh.
If you have an Android device, it takes 3 easy steps to restart it:
- Press and hold the power button for 10-20 seconds.
- Wait until the Android device restarts.
- Unlock your device with the PIN.
If you have an Apple iPhone, you can take these 3 simple steps:
- Press and hold the side button.
- Wait until the power-off slider is showing.
- Swipe it and wait 20-30 seconds to turn it off.
- Restart your iPhone by holding the side button until the Apple icon appears.
And if you have an iPad with Face ID or Touch ID, you can take these 3 steps:
- Press the volume-up button quickly.
- Press the volume-down button quickly.
- Press and hold the power button until the Apple logo appears.
For an iPad with a Home button, you can take this step:
- Press and hold the home and the power button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears.
Here’s visual guidance on how to restart an Apple iPad:
After you’ve restarted your device, open the Netflix app and download a TV show or movie.
If it didn’t work, you could try to…
#3: Turn off Smart Downloads
Netflix cares a lot about its customers…
That’s why they implemented a feature called Smart Downloads.
If this is activated, the Netflix app will automatically download the next episode of a TV show you’re watching.
Plus, delete the ones you’ve already watched.
However, some users noticed issues with downloading when this was activated.
The solution was simple: they deactivated it.
Here’s how to do that in 3 simple steps:
- Go to the Netflix app and select Downloads.
- Choose at the top Smart Downloads.
- Turn off Download Next Episode.
Then try downloading a TV show or movie again to see if it works.
If not, then try the next solution.
You might also like: (11 Fixes) Netflix Not Working On LG TV
#4: Check your internet connection
Downloading on Netflix requires a strong and reliable internet connection.
So, with a weak internet, you will notice issues.
Therefore, get closer to your Wi-Fi router to receive a stronger signal and see if it improves.
You can use an app like WiFi analyzer for Android devices…
Or iWiFi for Apple devices…
To measure the strength of your internet connection.
Also, you can simply reset your Wi-Fi to start fresh.
Here’s how to do that in 2 steps:
- Unplug your router for 30 seconds.
- Replug the router and wait until it’s fully operating.
If downloading still doesn’t work, use an ethernet cable to connect your device.
Additionally, you can also try to download a movie or TV episode using your mobile data.
Reminder: Before you try this, check your mobile data plan. You don’t want to have unexpected extra costs.
#5: Update the Netflix app
Netflix releases updates from time to time.
This ensures an improved version of their app.
These updates focus on repairing application bugs.
For example, bugs that are related to Netflix not downloading.
That’s why you need to update the app to the most recent version.
So, if you have an Android device, you can update the Netflix app by taking these 5 easy steps:
- Go to the Google Play Store.
- In the upper right corner, select the profile icon.
- Select Manage apps & device.
- Apps with an update available are shown as Update available.
- Check if there’s an update available for Netflix.
And here’s how to do it on an Apple device:
- Go to the Apple App Store.
- At the top, select the profile icon.
- Search for pending updates.
- Select Update next to the Netflix app icon.
If there’s still no success, then we can also try to…
#6: Reinstall the Netflix app
Reinstalling the Netflix app is, at this point, a good solution and will fix the download issue in most cases.
Tip: When you delete the Netflix app, it will remove your downloads. After you’ve reinstalled it, you can download them again.
For an Android device, you can take these 3 steps:
- Go to the Google Play Store.
- Search for the Netflix app.
- Then, from the Netflix app store page, choose Uninstall.
- After it’s removed, just select Install.
For Apple devices, you can take these 3 steps:
- Select and hold the Netflix app.
- Choose Remove App or the minus symbol (-) in the upper left corner.
- If asked, tap Delete App.
Then when it’s removed, go back to the Apple Appstore, search for the Netflix app, and choose Install.
For Windows devices, you can take these 2 easy steps:
- Find Netflix in the search bar from the start menu.
- Choose Uninstall.
When done, go to the Microsoft store, search for the Netflix app, and install it again.
#7: Manage download devices
You can download up to 100 titles per device on Netflix.
Moreover, it also depends on the license rights of the titles.
These affect how long they can be stored on your device.
Depending on your subscription plan, you can use 1, 2, or 4 devices to download movies or TV shows.
If you reach your maximum, you’ll see the following error:
‘You have downloads on too many devices. (10016-23000)’.
Then it’s time to remove some of your download devices from your account.
Here’s how to do that in 5 simple steps via the web browser:
- Go to Netflix.com and log into your account.
- Select the profile menu or More.
- Then go to Account.
- Go to Settings and select Manage download devices.
- Choose Remove device to delete all downloads from that device.
#8: TV show or movie is not available
If you’re trying to find a movie you want to download, but you just can’t seem to find it…
Then there could be several reasons:
Sometimes the title is not available in your country.
And if you’re using a VPN, you’ll likely only see titles that are available for the country you set your private network in.
In that case, simply turn the VPN off and try again.
But the worst one is probably that a movie was available on Netflix before, but not anymore.
Then most likely, rights to that specific title are expired.
As a result, the movie or TV show disappeared.
See, even Netflix has its limitations.
You might also want to know: (7 Fixes) Netflix Not Working On Apple TV
#9: Contact the helpdesk
If you tried all the previous fixes…
But still no luck?
Then it’s time to reach out to Netflix and contact their helpdesk.
It’s also possible to contact the helpdesk via the Netflix app:
- Open the Netflix app.
- Tap your profile icon.
- Select Help.
- Select Chat or Call at the bottom.
Tip: Make screenshots of the error message you receive. They may ask for this.