I’m particularly frugal with devices and gadgets.
And my friends can make fun of me all they want.
But there’s no way I’m throwing away my 5-year-old Samsung TV.
Especially now that I know I can still watch Disney Plus shows on it.
And if you want to know how, stay tuned…
Keep reading to discover:
- How to get Disney Plus on Xbox and PlayStations consoles.
- Which streaming devices you should get to watch Disney Plus.
- 3 ways to watch Disney Plus on your old Samsung Smart TVs.
- And so much more…
How to get Disney Plus on an older Samsung smart TV?
You can get Disney Plus on an older Samsung smart TV by using streaming devices. If you already have a gaming console, you can also download Disney Plus on it. Otherwise, your TV can also mirror your laptop or smartphone.
3 ways to get Disney Plus on older Samsung smart TV
#1: Streaming devices
Does your TV have an HDMI port?
If so, the easiest way to get Disney Plus on your old Samsung TVs is to buy a streaming device.
However, which one?
According to Wired, these are the best streaming devices you can buy:
- Roku Streaming Stick 4K Plus: Named best overall.
- Apple TV 4K.
- TiVo Stream 4K.
- Chromecast With Google TV.
- Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max.
“But, Peter, that just seems like a waste of money.”
And, if you have a smart TV, I can’t blame you for thinking that.
However, streaming devices also have a lot of other benefits. Namely:
- Smoother UI.
- Better longevity.
- Availability of apps.
- Better performance.
- More frequently updated.
- Stronger protection over your data.
So, if you’re on the fence about buying one…
I promise you. It’s worth the money.
Further reading: (11 Fixes) Disney Plus Not Working On Smart TV
#2: Gaming consoles
If you’re already gaming using your Samsung, this is for you.
Do you know that you can use gaming consoles to watch your favorite shows?
Newer models of Xbox and PlayStation devices already come with pre-installed streaming apps. Including Disney Plus.
But, if you’re still using the old Xbox or PS4s…
There’s no shame in that.
You can still use them to watch Disney Plus.
And I’ll explain how you can do just that.
For Xbox users, all you need to do is download the app using these steps:
- Go to the Microsoft Store.
- Select the Search logo at the upper right.
- Type ‘Disney Plus’ and select the app once it appears.
- Press Get.
- Wait for the download to finish.
In PlayStation, you can use Disney Plus by following these 2 easy steps:
Step 1: Download the app
- Go to your PlayStation Store.
- Press the Search option at the top of your screen.
- Type Disney Plus.
- Select Download.
- Wait for the download to finish.
At this point, try to open Disney Plus.
Do you encounter an error saying you need to turn on HDCP?
In this instance…
Step 2: Enable HDCP
HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection.
Wow, that’s a mouthful.
And it sounds intimidating, but all it really is a software that prevents you from recording your TV.
Disney Plus requires you to turn this on as part of their anti-piracy policy.
But, don’t worry, you can quickly do this by:
- Going to your Settings menu.
- Selecting System.
- Toggling Enable HDCP on.
#3: Using your laptop
If you can’t have Disney Plus on your TV…
Open Disney Plus somewhere else and connect that to your TV.
And the perfect device for that is your laptop because of its mobility.
Furthermore, there are two ways you can connect your TV to a laptop.
You can do it wirelessly or through HDMI.
For this method, you need to make sure that your laptop and Samsung are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
On your TV
- Press the Settings button on your remote.
- Go to Network.
- Select Screen Mirroring.
- Press Screen Mirroring again.
This will prompt your TV to wait for a device to connect.
On your laptop
- Go to your Settings menu.
- Select Devices.
- Click Add Bluetooth or Other Device.
- Look for your TV.
- Press your TV once it appears.
Wait for a few seconds.
Your laptop screen should appear on the TV if you’re successful.
Not all TVs have Wi-Fi or a wireless mirroring function.
And if your TV’s one of those, go analog and buy an HDMI cable.
Once you’ve secured a cable, you just have to:
- Insert the cable to the HDMI ports of your laptop and TV.
- Open your TV.
- On your remote, press the Source button.
- Go to either HDMI-1 or HDMI-2.
Your TV should be mirroring your laptop by now.
What’s that? It’s not sharing the same image.
In that case, you can follow Samsung’s guide to troubleshooting an HDMI cable:
- Press the power button on the device.
- Select the correct source on your TV.
- Disconnect and reconnect the cable.
- Try a different HDMI cable.
- Try a different external device.
- If all else fails, contact Samsung.
Still don’t get how to connect a device through HDMI? You can also watch this video:
BONUS: With your phone
Do you have an extra smartphone lying around?
If so, you can just cast your smartphone while using Disney Plus.
To do so, make sure to follow these instructions:
- Make sure your TV and phone are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open your TV.
- On your phone, open Disney Plus.
- Select the movie or show you want to watch.
- Once it plays, wait for the Cast to TV logo to appear.
- Press the logo.
Alternatively, you can also buy an HDMI to USB-C adapter. Which you can then use to mirror your phone to the TV.