Video editing is tough enough…
And the fact that most editing software can’t read MKV files makes it even tougher.
Fortunately, you can easily convert MKV to MP4.
But, if you’re wondering which method works best and the fastest…
I’ve got the answer for you.
Keep reading to discover:
- 5 effortless ways to convert an MKV file to MP4.
- The 2 best professional video converters in the market.
- 4 quick steps on using the VLC app as a video converter.
- How to efficiently create MP4 versions of your MKV files by batch.
- And so much more…
What is the fastest way to convert MKV to MP4?
The fastest way to convert MKV to MP4 is using the Open Broadcaster Software or OBS. You can also convert by batches using that app. Otherwise, VLC is also an option for convenience if you already have it on your PC. Professional video converters like WinX and Handbrake will also work.
How to convert MKV to MP4 – 5 ways
#1: VLC media app
What do you use to watch downloaded movies on your laptop?
Personally, I’m a big fan of the VLC app because of the following features:
- Free of ads and spyware.
- Can stream online videos.
- Has its own debugging software.
- Provides ample subtitle customization.
- Works on macOS, Windows, and Linux.
- Plays almost every type of video and audio file.
Not only that, but VLC can also act as a video converter. This is how that’s possible in 4 steps:
Step 1: Download VLC
To download VLC, you must go to this website and press the button saying: “Download VLC.”
And while you’re on that website, hover over the VLC dropdown menu at the top. Then press the Customize option.
Here you’ll see a list of skins that you can use on your VLC app.
This is completely optional, of course.
But, you’ll be using VLC as your main media player. So, it’s a bonus that you could make it look nicer.
Step 2: Upload the video
Once you have VLC installed on your computer…
It’s time to upload the MKV file you want to convert to MP4. To do so, you should:
- Open the VLC app.
- Press the Media tab at the upper left corner of VLC.
- Go to Convert or Save.
- Click the Add button.
You can select however many videos you want to convert here.
- If applicable, press Browse if you want to add a subtitle file.
- Once you’re done, select Convert or Save at the bottom of the prompt.
Step 3: Choose the correct conversion profile
Now, you should be on a menu asking for a conversion profile.
- Click the box corresponding to “Profile.”
- Choose whichever profile applies to you.
If you’re confused about the terms that you see in that dropdown menu, that’s okay.
Since you just need to convert MKV to MP4, choose either of these two:
- “Video — H.264 + MP3 (MP4).”
- “Video — H.265 + MP3 (MP4).”
What’s the difference between these two choices?
H.264 is the preferred option if you’re uploading it to YouTube, Facebook, or another video-hosting site. The reason is that it’s more widely supported.
On the other hand, H.265 is a step above H.264. Videos encoded in H.265 are lighter and have better quality.
That said, H.265 isn’t supported universally…yet.
Step 4: Convert the video
Once you’ve chosen a profile…
Complete the conversion process with these remaining steps:
- Below the profile box, tap Browse to look for a destination folder for your converted file.
- Press Start to start converting.
All that’s left to do now is wait.
Once the progress bar reaches 100, your MKV file now has an MP4 equivalent.
ADDITIONAL: What VLC lacks as a video converter
VLC is, first and foremost, a multimedia player. It’s not a conversion tool. It just happens to have a conversion feature.
That might sound a little confusing, but all I meant by that is this:
You shouldn’t expect perfect results from VLC. In fact, here are some disadvantages of using it to convert files:
- It’s slow.
- No video editing features.
- You can’t select a resolution for your converted file.
- The video quality won’t be as good compared to other conversion software.
However, VLC is the most convenient option out there if you don’t want to install other programs.
#2: Open Broadcaster Software
If you’re into gaming…
Chances are, you’ve heard about the Open Broadcaster Software or OBS.
It’s a free video recording and live streaming application. And it’s commonly used by streamers.
But, aside from those, you can also use OBS to convert MKV files to MP4.
Start converting now with these directions:
- Download OBS Studio here.
- Install the downloaded file.
- Open OBS.
- Press the File tab on the upper left corner of OBS.
- Click Remux Recordings.
- Now, use File Explorer to open the folder containing your MKV file.
- Drag and drop the MKV file into the Remux box on your OBS.
- Tap the Remux button.
Your OBS should now be converting the MKV file to MP4.
And you’re done. That was quick, right?
The only disadvantage of this method is that you can’t edit the conversion profile. This means you’ll get an H.264 MP4 file every time you remux an MKV video.
But, if you want the quickest option out there…
OBS is for you.
Want a short video to go along with these instructions? Look no further than this one:
#3: WinX Video Converter
Now, let’s move on to professional video converter software.
My personal recommendation? Get WinX Video Converter.
The only downside is that the software isn’t free. It costs:
- $19.95 per year.
- $39.95 for lifetime access.
However, if you’re just going to use it once…
They have a free trial that you can use to convert your video. You just need these 5 steps:
Step 1: Install WinX
- Go to the official WinX website.
- Press Download Free Trial.
- Install the downloaded file to your computer.
Step 2: Choose a video to convert
Next, you’ll need to open the video you need to convert on WinX.
You have two options to do that:
From your local storage
The first choice is to simply open a video from your computer’s local storage. You can do that with these steps:
- Press the Video button at the top left corner of the app.
- Select a file from your storage.
- Tap Next.
Get your video online
A feature that you might find helpful is that you don’t need to download a video to convert…
You just need its URL, and you’re good to go. WinX takes care of the rest.
And what’s more is that this feature supports a wide array of sites.
To use URLs to upload a video to WinX, you need to:
- Press the URL button.
- Copy and paste the video URL into WinX.
- Tap Next.
Step 3: Create a conversion profile
Much like in VLC, you can also create a conversion profile in WinX.
For the basic settings, you have three choices:
- Low quality but fast conversion.
- High quality but slow conversion.
- Medium quality and medium-paced conversion.
However, you can go to the advanced settings and also edit the following:
|Video Codec||H.264 or H.265|
|Bit Rate||How fast information is processed|
|Resolution||How many pixels there are per frame|
|Frame Rate||How many frames per second you need|
|Aspect Ratio||Proportion between the width and height|
Once you’ve created the proper profile, hit Next.
Step 4: Edit video
You’ll be asked if you want to edit your video before conversion.
If you choose to do so, here are the editing options available to you:
- Trim the video.
- Crop the frame of the video.
- Hardcode a subtitle file into the video.
After you’re satisfied with your video, proceed to…
Step 5: Convert your MKV video
- Go back to the main screen of WinX.
- Press the Run button on the lower left side of the app.
After that, a progress bar should appear. You should be done once the progress bar is complete.
Another professional video converter that I trust is called Handbrake.
You can get the app here.
And, unlike WinX, Handbrake is completely free.
Once you’ve installed the app, convert your MKV file to MP4 with these easy steps:
- Open Handbrake.
- Press the Open Source option in the upper left corner of your app.
- Select the MKV file you want to convert.
- Under Summary, tap the Format box.
- Set Format to MP4.
- Click Start Encode.
The process should be over in no time.
#5: With your smartphone
What if you want to use your computer for other things while you’re converting a file?
After all, conversion takes up a lot of your RAM.
That means, unless it’s high-end, your PC will start to run hot during the conversion process. This will then cause your entire system to become slower.
So, instead of your PC, you can use your phone to convert your file.
Video conversion on a phone is easy. You just need to follow these directions:
- Download the Video Converter app.
- Once installed, press the Video Converter option on its main screen.
- Select your video file.
- Set Format to MP4.
- Tap the Check button at the lower right part of the app once you’re through.
Note: This is only for Android devices. iOS devices can’t watch nor read MKV files.