A good gaming experience is dependent on lots of factors.
But one thing is sure; you need a good screen to play on.
So, if you’re on the hunt for a gaming TV…
The chances are high that TCL TVs caught your attention.
But are they actually good for gaming?
Keep reading to find out:
- 6 reasons why TCL TVs are good for gaming.
- Why a high refresh rate is important for fast-paced gaming.
- What the best game specifications are for Xbox One and PlayStation 5 on a TCL TV.
- And lots more…
Are TCL TVs good for gaming?
TCL TVs are good for gaming if you take the TCL 5- and 6-Series. They’re a bit more expensive but have good features for smooth gameplay. The TCL TVs that are a bit cheaper, like the 3- and 4-Series, aren’t good for gaming.
6 reasons why TCL TVs (5- and 6-Series) are good for gaming
#1: High refresh rate
Do you know what your eyes are doing when they see a moving car?
They constantly refresh the image of the car.
This way, you keep track of the car in a smooth line.
TVs are doing something similar, and it’s called refresh rate.
It’s the rate how many times the TV screen is able to create a new image.
If it’s too low, you notice stuttering or tearing.
But when it’s high, you’ll see a smooth and fluid image on the screen.
This is important for games with a fast pace, where every frame counts.
That said, a mid-range TCL TV is from 60 Hz up to 120 Hz.
But, on some of the TCL 6-Series, the refresh rate is 144 Hz.
And to give you some reference, most TVs have 50 or 60 Hz.
Overall, you want at least 120 Hz when it comes to gaming.
#2: Low input lag
If you’re typing on a phone or computer, you want to hit the key and see it immediately on the screen.
When this is too slow, and you notice a delay, you can lose track of what you’re typing.
This means the input lag is too high.
See, input lag is the time it takes for a TV to show the command on the screen.
The command can be coming from a keyboard, joypad, or mouse.
So for gaming, you want this as low as possible. 20 ms or lower is recommendable.
A low-range TCL, like the TCL 3-Series with 720p, has an input lag of 26.9 ms.
However, you might want to go lower if you’re a hardcore gamer.
If that’s the case, you better have a look at the TCL 5-Series with 4K. That one has an input lag as low as 10.3 ms.
But even better is the TCL 6-Series with 4K. The input lag on that one is as low as 5.8 ms.
#3: 4K is the sweet spot
Every screen is made of many colored dots called pixels.
The more pixels, the sharper the screen.
Now, here are the TV pixel resolutions that are important to know:
- Full HD (1080p) is 1920 x 1080 pixels.
- Standard HD (720p) is 1280 x 720 pixels.
- Ultra HD (4K UHD) is 3840 x 2160 pixels.
- Ultra HD (8K UHD) is 7680 x 4320 pixels.
That said, the TCL 3-Series has 720p and it comes under 140 USD. It has a low price tag, but gaming-wise it’s not that good.
On the other hand, the TCL 4,5, and 6-Series are all coming in 4K.
For under 270 USD, you have a TCL 4-Series with 4K resolution. That’s definitely worth the upgrade.
Keep in mind the ‘sweet spot’ for TV resolution nowadays is also 4K.
It’s perfect for gaming this and gets you going for at least the next coming 3 years.
And yes, 8K is out there.
But you’ll pay a high price for that Premium.
At the moment, it’s around 3 times more expensive than 4K.
Moreover, there aren’t that many games or videos in 8K yet.
Overall, 4K resolution is the best bang for your buck.
#4: TCL’s game mode
To have the best TV settings for gaming, TCL developed a game mode.
It turns off unnecessary image processing to reduce latency during gameplay.
As a result, you get the smoothest action and a good fast-response gaming experience.
To activate game mode on a TCL TV, take these 3 easy steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Select System.
- Scroll to Game Mode and activate it.
For visual guidance, you can check out this video:
Fun fact: TCL is the official TV partner of the popular shooter game Call of Duty. They have partnered up since 2018. By doing so, TCL is promoting their TVs as good gaming TVs.
#5: Xbox and PlayStation compatible
Older consoles, like the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, are mostly limited to playing at a refresh rate of 60 Hz.
However, the newer PlayStation 5 and Xbox One X, have games that are playable with 120 Hz.
Plus, the upcoming years you will see more and more games that are playable with 120 Hz.
So, if you don’t want to miss out on that, it’s better to take a TCL TV with 120 Hz.
Resolution-wise, the older PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have full HD (1080p) as the standard.
Ultra HD (4K) is widely supported by the PlayStation 5 and Xbox One X.
So, when choosing a TCL TV for good gaming, consider at least 4K.
You might also be interested in: Hisense Vs TCL: Which TV Brand Is Better?
#6: Best TCL TVs for gaming
If you’re planning to buy a TCL for gaming, you should definitely consider these 2 models:
- TCL 6-Series 2021
It’s TCL’s high-end TV and comes with excellent specifications for gaming:
- The 6-Series has a refresh rate of 120 Hz. Meaning, it can easily handle games for the PS5, Xbox One X, and other games that are programmed for 120 Hz or lower.
- 4K resolution, which is very good and the current ‘sweet spot’ for TVs.
- It comes with Google Chromecast built-in. This way you can access many apps and stream your favorite content.
- Very low input lag. With 4K and 120 HZ, you can get an input lag as low as 5.8 ms.
- Wide color range thanks to the QLED technology.
- 4 HDMI ports, where 2 of them support HDMI 2.1 (the latest HDMI version and can handle 4K with 120 Hz).
The TCL 6-Series is the best TCL TV for gaming.
A 55-inch TCL 6-Series TV is being sold for under 600 USD.
That price and those specifications are a very good bang for your buck.
- TCL 5-Series 2021
This is the little brother from the 6-Series.
The good thing about the 5-Series is that it’s a bit cheaper but also has lower specifications:
- The 5-Series has 60 Hz. You can play most of the games smoothly and without stuttering.
- 4K resolution that will keep you going for at least the next coming 3 years.
- Like the 6-Series, it has a wide color range with QLED technology.
- Google Chromecast is built-in to access your favorite streaming apps.
- The input lag is 10.3 ms. Which is still under 20 ms, and that’s good.
- 3 HDMI, where all 3 inputs are HDMI 2.0.
As said, it’s cheaper than the 6-Series. It’s sold for under 380 USD, and then you have a 50-inch TV.
So, if you’re on a tight budget, the TCL 5-Series is a good option.
What about the other TCL TV series?
Every 3 years, TV quality improves a lot.
So I’m sure that the 1-, 3- and 4-Series will get better over time.
For now, I won’t recommend those for gaming.
Of course, it also depends on your needs as a gamer.
But if you want the optimal game experience, I would highly suggest sticking with the 5- and 6-Series.
If you have a bigger budget, you can also get a high-end Samsung or Sony TV for an even better gaming experience.